Updated: Apr 26
Postpartum Belly Binding Wrapping is in an ancient ayurvedic postpartum ritual. It is the practice of compressing your abdomen and hips for the first 40 days after birth. The more traditional-style of belly wrap is using a very long piece of cotton cloth (about 15 meters), that is wrapped around the entire torso and hips, until your midsection is comfortable and secure.
Why belly-binding ?
• Belly-binding pulls in abdominal muscles that has separated during child birth back together.
• It prevents the “nursing slouch” by correcting the mother’s posture while sitting up and walking.
• It affectively shortens the postpartum bleeding time by getting rid of waste blood naturally.
• Belly-binding is an ancient, natural, and effective way to decrease the postpartum healing time.
• It helps shrink belly size and tighten abdominal skin.
When to start?
This belly binding wrap can be done 2-4 days after a vaginal delivery and 1-2 weeks after a C-section as long as it is comfortable for the postpartum woman.
How long should I wear it?
Highly recommend wearing the binding wrap for at least 8-10 hours a day. You may remove it when you are sleeping. Wear the wrap for at least 40 days. You should be able to see dramatic result after 15 days. The more the wrap is worn, the faster you will see the results.
As your body begins to show some results, make the wrap smaller. Please make sure you feel comfortable with it.
May I wear it after the C-section?
A lot of moms find that wearing a binding wrap actually helps with pain right after the surgery as it offers support and "holds everything in place". It can actually be worn right after C-section, but always consult your doctor before use. You can wear the simple version , if you feel the traditional version is taking too much time.
For best result, once the incision is healed, you may apply some massage oil and do 5-10 minutes gentle belly massage before wear the belly binding.
How does the training work?
The training takes 60 minutes. The mother and her support person (partner, family members, or nanny) should join the training together.
1. Heng will demonstrate how to do the belly binding wrap on the mother’s body. (10-15 mins)
2. She will explain all techniques and skills , also answer all questions.
3. She will guide the support person to learn and practice on the mother’s body.